Collection and Use of Personal Information
Tim Hortons collects and uses personal information from customers and others (an "Individual") as follows:
- Tim Hortons may collect and maintain personal information such as an Individual's name, contact information, payment card information and purchase history when an Individual subscribes for services or purchases products on our website, in one of our stores or at a kiosk.
- Tim Hortons may collect personal information from an Individual where the Individual submits an application for programs operated from time-to-time by Tim Hortons, such as the Tim Hortons Scholarship Program (the "Programs") or for an employment opportunity (such as that contained in a resume, cover letter, or similar employment-related materials). We use submitted personal information as is reasonably required to assess the Individual's eligibility in the Programs and to advertise and promote the Programs or to assess the Individual's suitability for employment at Tim Hortons as well as to process the application and respond to the Individual.
- When participating in a contest or promotion, we may collect personal information, such as a contest winner's name, city of residence, and prize winnings in order to award prizes and promote such contests. This information may be published in connection with contests.
- From time to time, we may obtain an Individual's consent to use the Individual's contact information to provide periodic newsletters or updates, announcements and special promotions regarding Tim Hortons products and services.
- Personal information about an Individual, including name, email address, mailing address, phone number, credit card or other financial information, and a username and password, may be collected when an Individual participates in the QuickPay Tim Card Program (the "Card Program"). Tim Hortons uses such personal information as is reasonably necessary for operating and managing the Card Program, including without limitation, processing online registrations, billing credit cards, contacting Card Program participants about the Card Program, processing re-loads, setting up automatic re-loads and to develop and improve our product and service offerings.
- Tim Hortons may collect demographic and profile data in connection with the Sites and, together with publicly available information, we use such data to tailor each Individual's experience at the Sites and display content according to an Individual's preferences.
- In order to use certain features on the Sites (such as to make publicly available personal information about yourself and others, including without limitation, photos and videos), an Individual may be required to register and provide personal information such as name, email address, location (i.e. city, province, postal code), date of birth and a user name and password that the Individual chooses. We use this information to identify you, provide the requested feature and, with respect to date of birth, to verify that you meet the minimum age requirement. Your username, city and province will be published with your posting. By making publicly available his or her personal information on the Sites, the Individual consents to the publication of such personal information. By publishing personal information about another individual, the Individual represents that he or she has, where required by applicable privacy laws, obtained the consent of such individuals to publish such information.
- The "Send to a Friend" and other similar features on our Sites permit an Individual to send email to others. This feature requires an Individual to submit their name and email address, as well as the name and email address of the recipient. We do not use the names or email addresses submitted in these circumstances for any other purpose without the consent of the Individual or the email recipient to do so.
- When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint, you may be asked for information that identifies you (such as your name, address and a phone number) along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment or complaint. We may also retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and product and service offerings.
Tim Hortons may otherwise use customer information for additional purposes that are identified at or before the time that the information is used for such additional purposes.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Tim Hortons will not disclose, trade, rent, sell or otherwise transfer personal information for purposes other than as those set our herein, except with an Individual's consent or as required or permitted by law.
Tim Hortons may transfer or disclose personal information as follows:
- Tim Hortons may transfer your personal information to third-party service providers or agents who provide services to or on behalf of Tim Hortons such as hosting, data management and storage services, market analyses, and retention services. Either Tim Hortons or such third party service provider may use servers for such purposes located in the United States or another foreign country. The personal information of an Individual may be processed and stored in the United States or such other foreign country, and the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain disclosure of personal information through the laws of the foreign country.
- Tim Hortons, our affiliates and our Canadian, US and other service providers may provide your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by applicable Canadian, US or other law. We may also disclose personal information where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- We may transfer any information we have about you as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Tim Hortons or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control.
Cookies and IP Addresses
Tim Hortons collects and uses an Individual's IP address to help identify the Individual, gather broad demographic information about users of the Sites, diagnose problems with Tim Hortons' systems, and administer the Sites.
Third party links
Tim Hortons has implemented measures designed to protect against the theft, loss, unauthorized access, use, disclosure and alteration of personal information in our custody and control with security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information, including through the use of reasonable physical, organizational, and technological safeguards and appropriate training of employees. Tim Hortons' third party service providers are obligated to maintain confidentiality and security of the personal information transferred to them and are not authorized to use such information other than to provide the services or as otherwise permitted by law.
An Individual's online access to certain of their personal information may be protected with a username and/or password that the Individual chooses. Tim Hortons strongly suggests that Individuals do not disclose their username or password to anyone. Tim Hortons never asks for an Individual's password in any unsolicited communication.
Individuals are given the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from Tim Hortons by using the unsubscribe mechanism at the bottom of our email communications by contacting our Chief Privacy Officer (the "Privacy Officer") using the contact information provided below.
The TDL Group Corp.
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
Address: 874 Sinclair Road, Oakville, ON L6K 2Y1